Part memoir and part exposé, Remain Free is the story of the unlikely friendship between Troy Davis, a forty year old death row inmate, and Gautam Narula, a teenager from the suburbs, amid the politics and personalities behind the Troy Davis movement.
Davis caught the attention of millions when he repeatedly faced execution despite serious claims of innocence: 7 of the 9 eyewitnesses from trial recanting their testimony against him, and 10 witnesses claiming another man had confessed to the crime.
The two came from entirely different worlds: one from 1980s Savannah, riddled with poverty, drugs, and violence, exacerbated by lingering racial tensions between whites and blacks, and the other from 2000s suburban Atlanta, a sheltering bubble absent of violence, poverty, or militant racism. Yet their friendship grew, inspiring the former to believe that today's youth would create a world better than the one he lived in and transforming the latter from an apathetic skeptic into an ardent activist.
But despite the worldwide media attention and the famous "I Am Troy Davis" slogan, few knew the man behind the movement or the political and legal wrangling that went on behind the scenes.
Beyond the story of a teenager coming of age on death row, Remain Free reveals intimate, previously unpublished details about the Troy Davis case and movement, including:
- Troy Davis's firsthand account of what happened the night of the murder that led to his conviction, and what occurred in the following days, months, and years.
- The harsh reality of life on death row, compared to the facade given to the outside world
- The disorienting change of becoming an overnight celebrity on death row
- The people and organizations behind the Troy Davis movement, not all with altruistic motives
- The legal complexities and political maneuvering that ultimately sent Troy Davis to his execution
The book will be released September 2014
Alexandre's design was amazing! He went beyond the specifications and researched my book's subject matter, which resulted in an incredible design that really captured the essence of the book. I had dozens of designers create cover designs for my book, and it was clear Alexandre was head and shoulders above the rest. I still get compliments on the beautiful cover design, and it's all thanks to Alexandre. Alexandre is fast, friendly, affordable, and incredibly talented, and I highly recommend him.